11/18/2006

Nice People...

For the most part, I believe people are good and nice. But after spending a year in NY, I've gotten a little more cynical. Not for any particular reason, mostly because everyone around me is. And maybe I've watched one too many CSI:NY episodes. So I tend to keep to myself when on the street, or the subway - like most New Yorkers.

But I still believe people are nice, and once in a while they prove you right.

I was pulling out of a parking spot the other day in front of the house, and this little SUV had blocked me with about 2 inches between bumpers - on our hill. So as I tried to get out with my manual transmission, I rolled forward, tapped the bumper, and as the gas caught and I began to reverse, my front license plate got caught on the SUV bumper and was pulled out. Of course, I didn't notice this since I was in the driver seat. Driving around the Island, a nice gentleman rolled his window down to let me know. When I finally parked again, I tried to fix it but the lovely proprietary "screws" were not working. So I pulled a roll of gaff tape out and taped it on, figuring I'd either bring it in to be fixed, or have J take a look later.

Now here's where the really nice part comes in. I drove to work on Thursday so I could head down to a Food & Ethics Conference and when I pulled into the parking deck at my office, the very nice attendant (who I've only seen a handful of times) told me the plate was falling off. I laughed and said "that's why I carry a roll of tape". Well, when I picked up my car a few hours later, he had fixed my plate for me. Needless to say, he got a nice tip that day! Kindness of strangers.

No comments: