12/18/2010

Mornings

I love the mornings. Especially on mornings that I don't have to do anything right away, or need to be rushing for work. And even more especially in the winter, as I sleepily stumble to the living room, and sit with the cats to the glow of the christmas tree as the sun slowly comes up. I feel my energy rising with the sun, and pull up the laptop and begin indulging in my curiosities. Searching for recipes, pondering mysteries of why my cat howls over her water dish, catching up on news from friends and family. I know these mornings are limited, and soon my mornings will be early and busy and not about me, so I am trying to enjoy every moment of them now.

Today, on this particular morning, I'm getting ready for the feast of GiJackika. Our annual Christmas party. In past years, by 7 am I'm starting cooking and prepping for the evening. But this year, I simplified my menu since I knew my energy, back and feet were not what they were in the past. Yesterday I baked, chopped and marinated, and today I have very little prep to do - purposefully so I won't fall asleep on our guests. This way, I get to enjoy my quiet morning and prepare for our friends calmly. Oh, how I love the morning.

No comments: