4/05/2006

What a day...

I was completely having one of those days. I didn't want to get up, which made me late for work, so I foolishly decided to drive. I just couldn't face the thought of all 3 legs of my commute today - not so much in the morning, but more for coming home. I thought that since I left the house around 8:15 I might miss a lot of the morning traffice - but I was wrong and it took me an hour and 20 minutes to drive the whole 12 miles to my office. Which reminds me of how much I hate the city - but that's for another blog.

I was just out of sorts today. Feeling a bit sleepy, road raged from the morning drive, way, way stressed about work, and having some inner turmoil about a co-worker who I'm having a bit of trouble with. Add some inner turmoil about a friendship that is having some issues, and the fact that my sweetie is somewhere in Louisiana (or is Texas yet) and you could see how I was in a funk. A big PMS, all I want to do is soak in a tub, eat some ice cream or potato chips (or both) and wallow in my brooding until it goes away. But I couldn't - I had to go to work.

And as much as I love my job, 8 people in a room certainly doesn't help when I'm having one of those days. At my last job I had my own office, so I'd pop in some sappy music, feel free to get teary if I needed, spend an hour or so filing to get something accomplished and work through my mood by having a great lunch with my favorite co-worker. Can't really do that now.

So I made the best of it and popped on my earbuds and tried to pretend the world wasn't there as I poured my meloncholy into our appeal. When I looked out the window and saw the golden cast across the buildings, I was bummed I forgot my camera. And then a few minutes later it was snowing. This weekend I was out and about in a t-shirt, today it was snowing. Big marshmallow size flakes, fluttering past the window like feathers from a down pillow. When an hour later I went to find some comforty lunch food (shepards' pie from the new butcher down the street) and I realized I knew why it was snowing. Lil' ms. mother nature wanted to cheer me up.

I think I was the only person walking through the sleety sideways windy slushy snow with a grin from ear to ear on my face. I love snow, I made it back to office in a little bit of a cheered spirit.

When I left the office this evening (where it took me 35 minutes to go the 12 miles), I got on the phone with my sweetie, griped about all of the above and laughed about how it was sunny and warm again - as if the snow's only purpose was to put my mood in perspective. I'm feeling a bit better tonight - even if I didn't get my bubble bath, but there is ice cream in the freezer.

No comments: