11/18/2007

Back Home...

My latest trip took me south of the boder for a week in Puebla, Mexico. (Sometimes I hade my job). Work was work, but amongst the meetings and lectures there were some amazing chances to experience a spectacular culture.

Now, I'm not someone who LOVES Poblano cuisine, but I'm always willing to try it. AND since this trip didn't involve me getting a cold, or a sinus infection or any gastro-intestinal distress (yes, I stayed away from the water), I was able to experience it all if a full taste bud way.

As far as the food went, I had many things expected: tortillas, chile sauce, queso, brothy soups and lots of pumkin seeds. Mole Poblano, the signature dish of the region was served on the final lunch and was delicious. Unexpected tastes included a thin and watery frothy chocolate drink and some grasshoppers.



As for the culture, we had a Mariachi band perform at almost every meal, a 30 piece band play while we had dinner in the Museo de Arte and were blessed with the only public performace of an Aztec Ritual on the steps of a convent that was built near the old revered pyramid in Cholula.


And now I'm back home, and after a few days of hubby working 20 hour days we spent the weekend together, getting together with some old friends, and really old friends, and truly enjoying the fall.

No comments: