6/17/2004

The Cool Table...

Many moons ago I worked at George Street Playhouse. And there, the Cool Table was born – basically the 4 of us “new kids” during a summer where management held lots of closed door meetings due to administration changes….7 years later we are still getting together, including our monthly “if you’re free show up if not, catch you next month” nights out.

I look at the 4 of us and realize how different we are from each other. And I find that to be the coolest thing about us. This friendship, forged in the chaos of work, has survived job changes, moves and the rest of life. I like to think that no matter when or how we met, we would still be friends and fate had a hand in it.

At dinner Monday night we all lamented how we miss the socialness of those early days, how subsequent work environments are impersonal and no-one communicates. The little things made a difference: when we would have lunch together, or make pancakes for staff meetings, or go to a matinee of the summer blockbuster on our“fun filled Friday’s”, or have our boss take us to the mall for last minute Christmas shopping. I’m not saying I need to spend every weekend with my co-workers (that was part of the reason I got burned out of GSP), but a happy medium could exist – and I know it does.

So, to the cool table, for reminding me that friends are always there for you and that I’m not crazy. For a great dinner and cocktails and to next month when we’ll enjoy it again!

GMF

1 comment:

Smelmooo said...

I want to start my own cool table now.

Fresh with voice mail from the internet.