6/03/2004

Veggies Abound...

I picked up my first batch of produce from the Cook Organic Farm. I am proud to say that I am an official shareholder, with my friend Brian, and the harvest has begun.

Today we got lots of lettuces, spinach, pok choy, kamasuma (a Japanese green, kind of like spinach) chives, sage, lemon balm and sorrel. For dinner we sauteĆ©ed the pok choy in a curry sauce with chicken…yum.

I am so excited to be a member of this CSA (Community Supported Agriculture). Not only am I getting fresh veggies all summer long, but also I am supporting local workers. And to get all new agey touchy feely, I am suddenly very aware of the subtle differences in the seasons, as we move from spring to summer to fall.

I’ll refrain from my lecturing on the importance of heirloom varieties of produce, and how the small family farm is being priced out of the market by large corporate farms. But I will ask you this summer to taste a jersey tomato or strawberry or corn right from the garden and tell me that it tastes the same as ones you find in the winter. Take the opportunity to find local produce, I promise you will never want to give it up.

No comments: