6/29/2004

Mangia...

So excited – got home from work and was getting ready to pay rent and bills and I flipped on the TV and my FAVORITE movie was on – so of course, I had to stop and watch.

Big Night is the greatest movie – that is if you like food. The cast rocks: Stanley Tucci, Tony Shaloub, Minnie Driver, Isabella Rossalini, Allison Janney and Campbell Scott…to name a few.

Basic concept: Two brothers own a fledging Italian Restaurant on the Jersey Shore in the 1950’s. A friend who owns a very successful restaurant convinces them that he can get Louis Prima to eat at their establishment, thereby bringing fame and recognition. The gut of the movie revolves around this dinner – long segments of making amazing dishes, food that would turn even the most stringent dieter to run for the fridge. The dialogue is great, Stanley Tucci (who also wrote and directed) captured the relationship between the brothers so well. Tony Shaloub is adorable, the other characthers are so fun and likeable, even the jerks.

And then there’s the timpano…I have yet to make this, but one day I will get the courage and try it. (and if you’re nice to me, I’ll invite you over when I do). "A drum with the best things in the world inside” timpano is pasta, meat ragu, eggs,peas, cheeses and yummmmm.
So if you get a chance, rent this or catch it on Bravo next time it’s on. (July 22nd)

And while I'm on the subject, these are my other favorite foodie movies: Tortilla soup (remake of Eat, Drink, Man, Woman), Dinner Rush, Women On Top and Simply Irrisistable (for the cheezy romantic comedy and it stars Buffy).

GF

No comments: