6/14/2005

Sweets for the sweet...

I never considered myself a shopper - unless it comes to food. Then I research, and surf, and ask questions and do all sorts of things to find the yummiest, tastiest and most interesting things to ingest.

Recently I found another one. Break out your sweet tooth, Dancing Deer Baking Company is in the house.

A few years ago I was reading my Bon Appetit and as in every edition, there was a section on "new" products - or at least ones that are not mainstream. This little baking company out of Boston was listed, and I remember thinking they sounded pretty good. But I forgot about them until a few months ago when I was hunting for favors for our engagement party.

Now I'm a big fan of consumable or compostable party favors. So when I was reviewing one of my favorite bridal websites I was reminded of Dancing Deer. I popped over to the website, and thought Yum, so I decided to order these for our guests.

Not willing to wait the month or so till I could sample the ones for the party, I sent a box of cookies, instead of flowers, to a friend after her son was born. So between those two things, I got to do lots of sampling.

First off, I'm a sucker for oatmeal raisin cookies but my man prefered the Molasses Clove. And the most intersting of the engagement favors - Chocolate Tangerine". Soft and crumbly, with a dark choclate flavor with the hint of zing you would get from the tangerine. Great with milk for a bedtime snack.

I also really liked the lavender shortbread, but alas, they are not sold individually - only with the cookie samplers.

And now, although I have not tried them, Dancing Deer has begun making brownies. And although I love to cook, baking has never been a strong point, so now that it's summer, and I don't want my oven heating our whole house, I think I'll have to get some more for all those days when I'm craving sweet!

No comments: