8/11/2005

Eat Local Update:

So, I really thought this was going to be a bit easier, but I've found that eating 100% (or sometimes even just 75%) local is not all that easy.

I've had some highs this week, including the Zucchini & Corn Timbale made with local produce, eggs from Griggstown, and even NJ produced cream. There was also more yummy ravioli with vodka sauce made in Flemington (if I remember, or was it Newark).

But I think my favorite meal so far (besides the Perfect Summer Meal) was Chicken with Lavender, Honey & Citrus. While I haven't been able to find lemons and limes locally, everything else was. Here's a quick summary of the recipe in interested:


Juice of 3 lemons
Zest of 1 lemon
Juice of 2 limes
1/4 cup honey
1/3 cup olive oil
1 - 2 tbs (your preference) of fresh lavender, ground in a spice grinder
salt & pepper to taste

Mix all together, pour over chicken and marinade at least 4 hours, periodically flipping as the marinade will not immerse the chicken. Grill (or broil if like me you have no outdoors of your own) for about 20 minutes each side until juices run clear. Serve with corn and salad for yumminess!



Tonight I think I'll head down to the Dutch Farm Market to get some beef, and maybe some pork. Definitly need to restock up on some cheese and breads. And although it's not Jersey, I did check and Lancaster falls in the 100 mile mark.

No comments: