1/02/2006

Farewell 2005

So, it's 2006. I really feel as this whole holiday season went 100 mph while I was standing on the side of the road. It usually does, but even more so this year with all the newness in the life. In a little way, I'm quite sad about it, because I love the holidays and I feel they didn't get the ritual or celebration they deserve, but then again I saw friends and family, even if I was less prepared this year than in the past.

J and I rang in the new year in style this year. Jammies, good food and our sofa. And while we regretting saying no to Metuchen fireworks, or an evening of hot tubbing, with everything over the past few months, we needed some good quality time with each and a weekend without any demands on our time. Saturday took us for some last minute food shopping, where we decided to try one of the supermarkets we hadn't been to yet, to see if it was closer than our current favorite. That turned into a 3 hour excursion where we started taking side roads, and a bit of exploring, leading us to two different and wonderful Italian Markets, one with fresh and frozen pastas of all kinds, sausages, and good cheese while the other had an amazing deli counter, really good prosciutto balls and strufoli.

And now that it's 2006, it's time to put my together my photo album for the year. As I began to go through my 2005 photos, I realized it was, to quote Frank, a pretty good year. The home front brought time with family to a new level through many more wonderful weddings, my niece getting bigger and talking, walking and just being the cutest thing. My parents are both getting healthier, loving their role as grandparents, and still taking good care of "their little girl" even if she is not so little anymore.

Good friendships got even better as the "Cool Table" continued our monthly night on the town (even if now I may not make them as much anymore). Old friendships got closer as a grammar school buddy moved into my neighborhood (even if two months later I moved out) putting us only an hour away instead of the 5 that we were for the past 13 years. Friends got married, had children and changed jobs and through it all we laughed at the silly things, continued traditions, listened when it was needed, and supported each other through trials and tribulations of growing up. And even now that I'm no longer a few minutes from my "jersey" friends, I love the time I spend with them, and look forward to lots more dinners, movies and dips in the hot tub.

2006 promises to be another hectic year so while I'm taking a bit of a breather today, I wish all my friends and family the best. Happy New Year!

No comments: